Re: [Phys-l] Figuring Physics in the March TPT The Physics Teacher

Flux is max when magnet is bisected by the loop.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Lulai
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:27 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Figuring Physics in the March TPT The Physics
Teacher

Hi.

So I have a loop of wire parallel to Earth. I drop a magnet through
the loop. The magnet is lined up with N on top and S on bottom (so S
goes through the loop first).
If I were to qualitatively graph the flux vs time, and current vs time
I'd get (would I get?):

Part 1: S is far away to S / N magnet bisect the loop.
Flux goes from zero (or really really small) to a maximum (when S pole
is in center of loop) and then back to zero when the magnet is
bisected
by loop (weakest part of magnetic field).