Re: [Phys-l] Figuring Physics in the March TPT The Physics Teacher

Several updates to my previous post:

First, and most important of all, I now see that John Clement was referring to Hewitt's "Figuring Physics," not Korsunsky's "Physics Challenges" to which my comments were addressed. Assuming the latter and not yet having received my March issue of TPT, I went to the TPT web site and found the recently posted solution to the December "Physics Challenge." Because it was of recent vintage and did indeed suffer from a mistaken analysis, I assumed I was addressing Clement's question. I can well imagine that he and a few others have been scratching their heads over my response.

Second, assuming there is anyone who still cares (!)

a) The December "Physics Challenge" is available at

http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/servlet/GetPDFServlet? filetype=pdf&id=PHTEAH000046000009000556000001&idtype=cvips

b) Its published solution is available at

http://scitation.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTEAH-home/challenges/ dec2008.pdf

c) and the AJP papers that I referred to in discussing the correct solution are

Armstrong, "The Oscillating Spring and Weight--An Experiment Often Misinterpreted," AJP, 37, 447-449, 1969
Sears, "A Demonstration of the Spring Mass-Correction," AJP, 37, 645-648, (1969)
Fox and Manhanty, "The Effective Mass of an Oscillating Spring," AJP, 38, 98-100, (1970)

Finally, and of bare consequence, I see that the author of the published solution to the December Challenge is actually Renault who *teaches* at Tyler, not "Renault and Tyler."

My bads,

John