From: Eric Mazur <mazur@physics.harvard.edu>
Date: 2009, February 16, 12:57:22 PST
To: bernardcleyet@redshift.com
Subject: New Mazur Group Publication

I am writing to let you know that a new publication by my group on peer
instruction, entitled "Peer Instruction: From Harvard to Community Colleges",
has appeared in print. You can download a reprint of the publication using the
following link, which will remain valid for a period of two weeks:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/email/download.php? YmVybmFyZGNsZXlldEByZWRzaGlmdC5jb20=&NjEz

The abstract of the paper is appended below. Please do not forward or post the
file. If you know of others who might be interested in this information, please
forward the following link to them:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/publications.php? function=display&rowid=613

Thank you for your continued interest in our work,

Eric Mazur
Balkanski Professor of Physics
and Applied Physics

Harvard University
29 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: +1 617 495-8729

Peer Instruction: From Harvard to Community Colleges
Nathaniel Lasry, Eric Mazur, and Jessica Watkins
Am. J. Phys., 76, 1066-1069 (2008).

Abstract:

We compare the effectiveness of a first implementation of peer instruction (PI)
in a two-year college with the first PI implementation at a top- tier four-year
research institution. We show how effective PI is for students with less
background knowledge and what the impact of PI methodology is on student
attrition in the course. Results concerning the effectiveness of PI in the
college setting replicate earlier findings: PI-taught students demonstrate
better conceptual learning and similar problem-solving abilities than
traditionally taught students. However, not previously reported are the
following two findings: First, although students with more background knowledge
benefit most from either type of instruction, PI students with less background
knowledge gain as much as students with more background knowledge in traditional
instruction. Second, PI methodology is found to decrease student attrition in
introductory physics courses at both four-year and two-year institutions.

Note: You received this email because your e-mail address was entered on our web
site (http://mazur-www.harvard.edu). If you did not personally enter your e-mail
address and you believe you received this e-mail in error, please let us know so
we can prevent further abuse.

To view or modify your notification settings (or to stop them altogether),
please use the following link:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/notification.php? i=YmVybmFyZGNsZXlldEByZWRzaGlmdC5jb20=