Re: [Phys-l] Textbooks vs multimedia

I totally agree here. My college physics classes 25 years ago were
basically all numerical. The pace was too fast. Lots of cramming. And what
did I remember/retain? Very little. I learned the most physics by teaching
it years later!!

Most physics books look the same, and they are barely
readable/understandable. I know much work goes into them. We need more
"conceptual" books on the market (like Hewitt), but I've heard that
publishers resist this type of format. Physics textbooks are crammed with
too much information. Who could possibly teach (and learn) most of the
chapters/topics in a typical book?

I believe that less is more. How you think is more important than what you
know. I want my students to understand some "basic" ideas/laws about how
this universe operates. You have to teach concepts before cal calculations
or the equations are meaningless and forgettable.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
We are the students who "intelligently" used the textbooks. I know that
I have brought up this somewhat elitist point a couple of times in the
past, but why are we wasting time and effort forcing people to study
physics who have absolutely no interest in the subject? Our biggest
problem in education, IMHO, is that we overeducate people. No
non-scientist uses academic physics in their life after leaving school.
They use rules of thumb that they have learned through experience. I
also still strongly believe that high school and college science do not
in any way make us informed citizens who can vote more intelligently
(the usual excuse for forcing science on students).

Bob at PC