From: chuck britton <britton@ncssm.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:40:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] starting a swing

If there is absolutely NO static or kinetic friction - then the CM of
the you+cardboard cannot move.

If there is a touch of static friction - then any three year old can
easily cruise across the room.

On Feb 9, 2009, at Feb 9(Mon) 7:28 , Brian Whatcott wrote:

Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
Here is a somewhat analogous situation. You are standing on a
large sheet
of cardboard on a perfectly smooth floor.

Is that a euphemism for frictionless, I assume?

Take the cardboard as massless.
Can you change your location on the floor?

Stefan Jeglinski
I hope someone disembarasses me soon of what seems to be the obvious
response,
which is.... Yes, Of COURSE you can change position.

Brian W

Prof. Eric T. Lane eric-lane@utc.edu
Physics Dept. 2352 423-265-7804
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 37403-2409