[Phys-l] Any thoughts on summer physics curriculum?

I teach in a summer program that is dedicated to the teaching of underrepresented populations in STEM related fields. The students that I teach during this summer program come from schools around the Oakland/San Francisco/San Jose area. They range in ability from students taking Calculus based AP Physics to students who have yet to take physics. They are all in the 11th grade, so their abilities vary enormously. In the past, I have put together a program that attempts to differentiate the curriculum so that the more advanced students can be challenged, while the lower level students aren't overwhelmed. I have had some good success in teaching the physics of rocketry. This allows me to teach some basic kinematics and Newtonian dynamics to the more basic level students, while teaching more advanced subject matter such as air resistance and the conservation of momentum for an object with a changing mass. Again, it has been successful, but not entirely. At times it is too advanced for some, while not at all for others. I have been playing around with the idea of changing the curriculum not so much because I feel it isn't serving the students needs, but more because I am beginning to get bored. I want to mix it up and try something different. I was thinking about doing a unit (I have five weeks) on the physics of music, or something involving electric circuits (solar, or wind power would be fun!), but I am worried that without the background, the students who haven't had physics would be lost. I have always taught kinematics and mechanics before waves and electricity, but I wonder if that is just due to convention. Obviously there is a historical reason for teaching mechanics first, but for a summer program that aims to get students excited about science, I am curious if anyone has any ideas about this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.