Re: [Phys-l] Getting more physics classes offered...

I second what Marty recommends. When I started at my current school (630 students all girls) we had 1 physics class. We now have 8 first year classes and 2 second year classes.

In addition to the "Wall" that Marty suggests I have former students come back and talk to my classes. Last year a mechanical engineer alum who is working for Rolls Royce came and talked about her experiences and travel while working on the F136 engine. Another physics grad came and talked about her graduate studies in biophysics.

Do some labs in the hallways. Yes the slinky lab could be done on the floor of the lab but when in the hall the students passing by see what you are doing. We also do a toy truck lab for constant motion in the hall and bungee Barbie is a hit in the quad every year.

You also have to convince the counselors that physics should be part of any college prep curriculum. The first year I bombarded them with articles and anecdotal evidence that physics should be a part of the college prep schedule. We also worked closely with the math department to tie our algebra/trig physics to their precalc curriculum. They then helped sell physics.

Like Marty, in some ways this was self serving. I could drop a freshman general science for every additional physics section. The bottom line however is that it is IMHO good for the students. We went from one or two MSE (math science engineering) majors a year when I came to about 12% of the class majoring (and finishing) an MSE major.

--
Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher