Re: [Phys-l] Response to Mike Edmiston

Hi Lindsay-
I have run into some of this.
When I run into copying, I split the grade between the two persons involved. Bwing copied from is as reprehensible as copying.
My quizzes are clear desk. No notes, no calculators, numerical answers are to be estimated with a negative premium for excessive precision.
With homework, choose students at random to go to the blackboard and explain their problem answers. (Bringing homework is required for class attendance, 80% class attendance is required to take the final, a final grade of 20% is required for a passing grade in the course.)
I'm sure you can think of other devices to keep matters on the up and up.
Regards,
Jack