Re: [Phys-l] Physics First

When people say that students are not ready to do abstract thinking as Freshmen, then recommend that they take Conceptual Physics as freshmen instead of a math-based course, does that sound strange? (It may be my geriatric state of mind.) Isn't conceptual physics exactly the abstract part?? (As opposed to plugging numbers into equations.) Isn't the problem we all have teaching physics teaching the concepts?? Because they are abstract?? I'm not sure I get this.

Wes