Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Revisited

I invite Brian to revisit the question at the end of his post and consider whether the question is another example of the tyranny of labels. Would he suggest that someone who lacks a Ph. D. based upon a physics Dissertation should never be considered for a Nobel prize in physics (I know an Ed professor at UIC who once answered, "Yes," to this question) ?

But a somewhat frivolous answer to the question, based upon my experiences in obtaining a teacing certificate through UIC, is "almost anyone".
Regards,
Jack