[Phys-l] sunspots

I'm trying to understand the solar cycle rather than watch the Super Bowl.
The Sun is definitely more interesting!

I believe there is a correlation between sunspot numbers and our climate.
As sunspot numbers increase, our oceans become (slightly) warmer. But
since sunspots are relatively cool, this also means that the Sun's surface
is cooler during these times. So I am puzzled how a cooler solar surface
can make our oceans warmer. Or is it due to increased magnetic activity on
the solar surface somehow causing changes in our climate?

There is much information on the web regarding this, and some of the
data/results are conflicting. I'm just trying to understand it on a
"basic" level, but it seems very complex.