Re: [Phys-l] Goals for HS Science (was Physics First Revisited)

Hi all-

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Edmiston, Mike wrote (along with a great many other sentences):

Jack Uretsky questioned whether it is appropriate to teach physics as
though every student should aspire to become a physicist.

Well I hope it's appropriate. I also hope the English teachers are
teaching the same way, the math teachers are doing the same thing, the
music teachers are doing the same, etc.

But is this a reason for doing it? As a practical matter, I doubt that my local school boards would be much persuaded if I went to them with the argument, "There is this fine fellow, Mike, a real gentleman, scholar, and, if I am not mistaken, judge of fine whiskey, who has hight hopes about...."
Regards,
Jack