Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Revisited

While we all see everything Marty notes in our own communities, can anybody really say that it has not always been such?

Most of us, even the old-timers (I'm even older the Michael--but not as old as Jack) don't really remember the days when the Colleges and Universities were populated only by the talented and the rich. We don't remember the days when Calculus was strictly a College subject--before AP courses, etc. The majority has always been 'unwashed' so to speak--when it comes to matters of higher education. It's just that we have a whole lot more people today who nominally 'have' this higher education ....even if the don't! This makes the ignorance and anti-intellectual attitudes more disturbing.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marty Weiss" <martweiss@comcast.net>

Friends, this is not just an intramural battle among academic
subjects, all of which have merit in a high school curiculum. It is
rather a battle for the hearts and minds of the citizenry against a
rampant attitude of anti-intellectualism and anti-academia in this
country. We have written about this many times before so this post
will come as little surprise to all of you and is probably an exercise
in futility. But, here goes anyway.