Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Revisited

Jack Uretsky wrote:
Hi all-
Well, I dunno. What seems to me is missing from the dialogue is the question of goals. My impression is that physics is taught as though every student should aspire to become a phyicist. We don't do that with music or art. Maybe we need a new discipline, "physics appreciation". That still leaves the question of what purpose is to be served by such a course......
Regards,
Jack
Sad to think that Jack's sentiment can often enough be reworked to "..we don't do music or art..."
these days. Not to mention woodwork or metal work, gymnastics of the vaulting horse, climbing rope kind.
Latin? almost never. Modern languages other than Spanish? Not often. Chemistry?

Brian W