Re: [Phys-l] some questions related to sampling

> If we then increase the resolution in frequency-space (f-space) by
increasing N_f as discussed, it might be assumed that we can achieve
a higher resolution result in the time domain when inverse
transforming back to it.

Not greater resolution, but rather greater _span_ in the
time domain.

Yes, I can see that that would have been the better assumption. But still not a good one. As you said later, you can't create something from nothing, aka second law. I erroneously was thinking that as I increased the resolution in the f-domain (interpolated more points), that inverse transforming would then somehow achieve greater interpolation in the time domain. I should have known better, but it was a good exercise to turn the crank and reprove the 2nd law, as it were.

> But it doesn't work like that. We can't get
back the original waveform. Rather, we might I suppose (?), but there
is additional content created in the time domain, in particular
imaginary content, whereas the original time domain contained only
real data. Not good.

Maybe not good, but not terrible, either. The "additional"
content is all zeros.

No, I was creating complex content, but see my above paragraph for why that happened. What you're talking about is something different, I think.

Tangential remark: If we are writing T as a column vector
and F as a row vector, note that E is _not_ the usual sort
of matrix that takes in a vector and puts out a vector of
the same kind.

I didn't explicitly state so, but I was viewing both T and F as column vectors, so that E is the "usual" sort of matrix. I used a "." to denote "conventional" matrix math.

This is a question of taste, of the sort that ought not be
argued, but just to avoid confusion let me say that I have
been thinking of F as a _row_ vector and therefore here we
are increasing the number of _columns_ in F and by the same
token increasing the number of _columns_ in E (not "rows
in E"). This is how my demo spreadsheet lays things out.

No problem there. Demo spreadsheet trumps in your case. I've been doing my work in Mathematica so I "see" it more conventionally written (well, sometimes).

Suppose the forward transform increases the resolution by a
factor of 4, i.e. Nf/Nt = 4. Then the non-square forward
transform E consists of 4 fairly ordinary square transforms
(with a little bit of heterodyning). They are not stacked
side-by-side but rather collated i.e. intercalated.

Exactly. You keep using better words than me.

If the time-domain data is the original data, no amount
of Fourier transforms or other math will ever create more
information. There will be no "loaves and fishes" miracle
where you create more just by rearranging things. The
second law of thermodynamics forbids it.

How then to correctly describe the sampling theorem in this context? If I sample the data at higher than the Nyquist rate, I *can* use math to interpolate between the sample points and get exactly the correct waveform between the sample points. Somehow the key point is that I have created more of the waveform between the sample points, but not more information. It's hard to get this subtlety - by successfully interpolating between sample points, it *seems* like I have gotten something extra.

So all we are talking about here are various heuristics for
_interpolating_ between points in the time domain.

Interpolation is easy if you know the original signal was
band-limited before it was sampled ... i.e. no aliasing.

Yes, see above?

You cannot safely decide whether a signal is band-limited
or not by looking at the sampled data! That would be like
asking the drunkard whether he is drunk. For example, if
I have a 100.01 Hz wave and sample it at 10.00 Hz, it will
look like a beautiful 0.01 Hz signal. Ooops.

If you want to be sure that the original data is band-limited,
rely on the physics, not on the math. That is, put a filter
on it! A real, physical, analog filter. Then you can be
sure.

Agreed, but if you look at the FT of the signal and see that it goes to zero at high frequencies (or a reasonable approximation of it, just as you would get with a physical filter), you can still safely decide, no? They're really the same thing. Your description is to put the filter on to make sure. My description is to look at the FT and see that the filter must somehow be there already, whether I knowingly applied it or not. If the FT does not indicate safety, I must either apply a physical filter or find a way to sample at a higher rate. But I can tell by looking at the FT...

Stefan Jeglinski