Re: [Phys-l] ballistic arc length

On 12/28/2009 04:20 PM, Peter Schoch wrote:

A projectile is launched with an initial speed v_0 at an angle
_theta_.
.... we want to find something about the actual path of flight:

1. Find the equation for the path of the trajectory (arc or the
flight path).

Easy.

2. Find the angle that would minimize/maximize this path.

Now, using basic rules of calculus I can find the first answer of an
arc length (which is a very complex experession). Differentiating
this to find 2 is proving daunting.

The physics is easy.

The math is completely routine and straightforward,
but ugly.

1. Is there an easier way to approach this? (Hamiltonian with
appropriate coordinate system?)

I doubt it.

As the saying goes, if a complicated procedure yields a
simple result, you should look for a simpler procedure.

OTOH if the answer is known to be ugly, there's little
hope of finding it via a simpler procedure.

The arc length as a function of theta is plotted here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/cannon-arc.png

The max arc length occurs when theta is the solution to:
tan(theta) = sinh(1/sin(theta))

i.e. when theta is numerically rather close to 1 radian.
In more detail: 0.985515(1) radians, as you can
see from this plot:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/cannon-arc-root.png

I'm way too lazy to do the math myself, when I can get
a computer to do it for me. The maxima (macsyma) script
is here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/cannon-arc.max

Since the problem can be stated in simple terms, one
might have hoped that the solution would be simple ...
but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

(The four-color map theorem can be stated in simple
terms, but the proof is not simple.)