Re: [Phys-l] thorium-228

On Dec 25, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Ludwik!

ppb moles, atoms, molecules, etc.???

a) My understanding is that ppb stands for the number of ions of thorium per one molecule of water. Is this correct? If so then one liter of water contains 10^15 atoms of Th-228, as shown by Bernard.

b) That was the first part of the problem. The second part is how many alpha particles are emitted by these atoms each second. My answer, based on the given half-life is 1.15*10^7. Is this correct?

c) Yes, by definition, 1 Ci is 3.7*10^10 decays/second. Therefore, the activity is 1.15*10^7/3.7*10^10 = 3.57*10^-4. That is my answer. Is this correct?

Ludwik
= = = = =

Plugging and chugging W/O much thought:

Activity = decay constant times number of nuclei
decay constant = half life / Ln(2)
37 GBq / Ci

Therefore N = 1.15 E+15 nuclei. Compare this to A = 6.022 E+ 23 nuclei per mole. I doubt very much you used Th metal. Th is most commonly? (IV), e.g ThCl(4)

bc missing something?