Re: [Phys-l] new book

Actually it was tried in one episode of the Elegant Universe. The Elegant
Universe was fun, but unlikely to really help students comprehend the basic
ideas. It relied on too many gee-whiz visuals that would have no meaning to
students, and to repetitive statements by big name physicists that students
have not heard of.

Actually for popular books which teach physics I might pick Asimov's 3
volume series which is now out of print. Of course I have not read it
recently and in light of what I now know, I might reject it.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The librarian at my school just sent me this link:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Physics-Your-
Dog/dp/1416572287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260220960&sr=8-1

The author is a particle physicist, and the book is reviewed on page 15 of
the Dec 1, 2009 issue of Booklist.