Re: [Phys-l] Student engagement

I heard Carl Wieman talk on this recently in Colorado. You might look at his
website in Canada. www.cwsei.*ubc*.ca/

I find it interesting.

Ken Fox

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM, <scitch@verizon.net> wrote:

In a conversation at work recently, I came to realize that everyone defines
"student engagement" differently. I was in a group where "engagement" meant
"students are busy." What they are busy doing was unimportant. When I
explained that it means something totally different in science, they had
never heard of such a thing. Then when I said that there are mountains of
PER showing that the type of engagement that we scientists are speaking of
is far more effective than lecture (no matter how "engaging" the lecturer
thinks his/her lectures are) the conversation really got heated.

So, we ended up in a debate about the effectiveness of lecture. I have
heard anecdotes on this list several times about experiments involving
asking students simple questions after a lecture and they were not able to
even tell what the lecture was about. I could not find references to any
such experiment online. Have these results been described somewhat
scientifically anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
Mike