Re: [Phys-l] The weaknesses of email discussion lists

Some physics educators might be interested in a recent post "Re: The weaknesses of email discussion lists" [Hake (2009)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my previous post "Re: The value of discussion lists" a subscriber wrote to me privately, complaining that his discussion list was "dead as a doornail . . . having everything to do with its being 'open' -- in effect anyone who posts to the list doesn't really know who is being addressed or who gets copies of the postings. . .[so that] . . . the issues discussed are unlikely to be settled on their own merits. . . [but are]. . . instead subject to unpredictable interventions and manipulations of every imaginable sort." Here I (a) point to two high-traffic lists, POD and Phys-L, as counter examples where at least a few of the issues discussed appear to be settled on their own merits, and (b) enumerate what I consider to be some weaknesses of email discussion lists as given in my listing of "Over Two-Hundred Education & Science Blogs."

To access the complete 14 kB post please click on <http://tinyurl.com/yawxua9>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>