Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

Radio waves from a betatron? Tell me more, please.

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Let me throw in another snippet that has not been mentioned in the
current melee:

A (slowly) increasing magnetic field gives rise to an electromagnetic
field, in the nature of things, that radiates at the speed of light -
we call them radio waves.

Brian W

Jack Uretsky wrote:
Hi all-
I don't know enough about the old aether analogy, but mebbe that
makes thing easier to think about. The point is that curl -> vorticity,
and in the fluid analogy, vorticity keeps the medium from increasing its
velocity uniformly. This has to work out, because Maxwell's equations
were consistent with the old idea of the aether as a fluid.
Regards,
Jack