Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

John's comments below (what I didn't snip) on how he solved the problem reminded me of a relatively well known aphorism of John Archibald Wheeler.

Namely that one should never begin to calculate the solution to a problem until you already know the answer.
_________________________

Joel Rauber, Ph.D
Professor and Head of Physics
Department of Physics
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007
Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605.688.5428 (w)
605.688.5878 (fax)

I didn't bother to actually solve the equation
until the next day, when you guys challenged me
on it. Given the solution, it is easy to work
backwards and see that it has the properties I
claimed for it. Still, however, I emphasize that
that is not how I came up with the ideas. I knew
how the solution(s) must behave long before I
saw any explicit representation thereof.