Re: [Phys-l] singular limits

I feared the worst when I started reading John D
on zeroes.
For a mathematician, a zero is rather well defined.
And John D displays extended mathematical grasp.
So...it would be easy to imagine that he would say:
of course a zero is a zero.

But yes indeed: for physical units, the unit of measure figures
in the result: ANY result.
(This same line of reasoning applies when a blogger starts
working numbers concerning domestic radiation sources.
The zero of distance rightly applies to any source under
comparision: NOT a point source estimate for the cell phone,
and a surface source estimate for the microwave.
Apples: oranges, and all that....)

Brian W

.

John Denker wrote:
0 newtons is also equal to 0 furlongs.
This applies to vector character as well as to
dimensions and units:

0 newtons in the Xhat direction = 0 newtons in the Yhat direction
= 0 cubits in the Zhat direction

HOWEVER ... this is an example of a singular limit./snip/
In particular, physics is one of the natural sciences,
which means it is not an exact science in the sense that
arithmetic is exact. So even though Q(m) is false when m is exactly zero, it is true when m is _approximately_ zero.