Re: [Phys-l] format for lab reports

On 11/05/2009 12:54 PM, Rick Tarara wrote:

Formal lab reports certainly have their place.

I'm just not sure where? When, as a practicing physicist, has anyone ever
written a formal lab report? I guess it might happen in industry or
government work, but even there........

Well, kinda sorta maybe.

Consider for a moment a professional analytical service
bureau. As a specific example I know a little bit about,
consider the FBI forensic lab at Quantico.

These guys turn out "lab reports" that are very formal
and very stylized.

On the other hand:
-- The report style bears little resemblance to the
classic "textbook" style mentioned at the beginning of
this thread.
-- This illustrates the fact that scientific _research_
is a small subset of "science". You want the formal
forensic results be "scientific" but you don't want
them to be based on cutting-edge research. You want
them to be based on long-established well-accepted
routine methodical procedures. In other words, plug
and chug.

Forensic analysis is (and must be) highly stylized and
methodical. Research is not nearly so methodical as
non-scientists seem to think it is.

I don't mind if some of the same people who do the formal
forensic analysis also do research as a side-line, so
long as they keep it separate.