[Phys-l] format for lab reports

I know it has been discussed before, but I would appreciate a few opinions/insights on lab report formats.

I recall, from my own indoctrination, the standard format found in the lab textbook of the 60's. Generally, it included: objective, method, data sheet, results, analysis and interpretation, etc. Sometimes it included apparatus and a discussion as to how it worked.

Beyond its historical significance, it rarely fits the research or research paper reality, so I am curious how we continue to justify it. As an experimental physicist, I did NOT use such a report format for anything. Is it still in use by engineering companies, as our continued use in intro labs would suggest?

If its an extinct dinosaur, what has replaced it for lab evaluation? Or, is that why we still see it? Thanks, Karl