Re: [Phys-l] accurate numerical solution of equations of motion

No OS-X version--probably never will be, but the Windows versions run fine under the Mac software that allows you to run Windows applications (X-Over is one?) If your Mac can run system 9.x software, then the Mac versions of TrueBasic run there in a 'native' mode. [Here is a prime example of Apple breaking older applications. I will be pulling my Mac applications at the end of the year and concentrating on updating the whole library of Windows applications, knowing they CAN be run on Macs.] Turns out that the Installer (for the language system software) from TrueBasic doesn't work on 64 bit machines, but luckily, there are no real installation issues--no registry changes--so one can copy the TrueBasic software (whole development system & libraries) from a 32 bit machine to a 64. Several of us are working on TB to provide the software as simple zip files in which case there wouldn't be a problem--suspect that suggestion will be taken soon.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "ludwik kowalski" <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] accurate numerical solution of equations of motion

On Nov 4, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

In terms of numerical accuracy, TrueBASIC (a compiled version of basic
straight from the originators--Kemeny & Kurtz) has the following
system
limits:

Accuracy of numbers 16 bits
Accuracy of Sin, Cos, Tan, Atan, Log, Exp 16 bits
Smallest positive number Eps(0) 2.2250739e-308
Largest positive numbe (Maxnum) 1.7976931e+308
Maximum string length 448Mb
Maximum dimensions for an array 255

Suspect this should be sufficient for most applications.

For more info see www.TrueBasic.com

Rick (all my software is done with this language--actually is very
powerful,
very good for calculations and you can do high quality animations)

I also liked TrueBASIC very much. Unfortunately, there is no MAC OS X
version of it. Are they still "working on it" or they gave up?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist.

Food for thought:
"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Updated links to his selected publications are at:
http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ , http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html
and http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html