Re: [Phys-l] Linear Air Drag

If you'll excuse the shameless self-promotion, a nice case one can do analytically is purely vertical up and down motion in the presence of drag (quadratic or linear). An interesting approach is to do so using energy methods rather than integration of Newton's second law:

http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Publications/EJP3.pdf

I've taught such ideas in the intermediate mechanics course and used Taylor's book (which I highly recommend). -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363