Re: [Phys-l] research project--software-based homework systems

Long live scholastic dishonesty, if it survives the devastation!

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, trappe@physics.utexas.edu wrote:

There is nothing more devastating to scholastic dishonesty than having
a HW system that forces the students to (at least) learn how to solve
the problem rather than to sit in the hall before class functioning as
manual xerox machines of each others' work.

When you look at student responses, try finding out how the software
controlled HW ruined their paid for access to fraternity files and
on-line textbook solutions.

To get a single problem solved for each student in the class will cost
"n" times as much as getting the solution with only one set of values.
Students don't like interference in their cheating schemes. This is
serious entertainment money that these HW systems ruin...Karl

Quoting "Price Daniel S." <dprice@jeffco.k12.co.us>:

As part of my graduate coursework, I am required to complete a
qualitative research project. I have chosen to interview
undergraduate students regarding their experiences with, and
opinions of, software-based homework systems such as WebAssign,
Mastering Physics, and ALEKS. I would also like to include the
perspective of a faculty member, and am therefore asking for a
volunteer willing to complete an email interview (with follow-up
questions as determined by initial responses). The project has
institutional IRB approval, and small compensation (a ten-dollar
gift card) will be provided upon completion of the interview process.

Thanks in advance to any and all volunteers.

--Daniel Price, graduate student, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln