Re: [Phys-l] Poll shows fewer Americans "believe" in global warming

The issue is with the corrections that have been made to the historical data set. Some of the
corrections make sense, like time of day. Some of the corrections are questionable in terms of the
size and direction of the corrections. The hisotrical data is largely incomplete worldwide and
measurements were made inconsistenly using a variety of measurement methods. In recent decades
a network of temperature monitoring stations has been set up, but little care has been taken in their
placement, which has been embarrassingly documented on nurmerous websites. Therefore, it's hard
to put much confidence in the reported temperatures at show a few tenths of a degree variation when
the errors may be larger than are ever discussed.

There is so much more to this than I can communicate here. I do recommend that people look more
deeply into what historic and current temperature data is available, how it was collected, and what
subsequent corrections were made before the final graphs were made. It's an interesting study in data
handling and analysis. This is imperative as we try to understand what is happening with the Earth's
climate. Do not simply look at the published graphs, but also at the methology (as we do with
everything else in science) to determine validity. We all know that there is much political manipulation
in this area, so it is perhaps more critical to be critical.