Re: [Phys-l] Poll shows fewer Americans "believe" in global warming

I heard from the author of a popular treatise, whose name I caught (phonetically)
as something like "Super Freeconomics".
He aired a suggestion which as far as I know is already discredited, for a
quick fix on Global Climate Change: Sulfur Dioxide. He asserted that this gas is much more potent than CO2 [like numerous other gases...] The argument goes like this:
" say that Global Warming is real, and we URGENTLY need to do something.
How much Sulfur Dioxide [the component of volcanoes which is known to have
caused episodic climate cooling] would it take to stop the warming trend?"
Not much. One single polar garden hose from a generator would provide sufficient flux,
he says.

If you are looking wistfully for a DeusXm., this is it! He says that if you are serious
about fixing the problem, you need to buy time, and this would buy time.
Acidification etc., an' all! Now you know why people believe in ghosts and fairies:
they WANT to!

Brian W

Jack Uretsky wrote:
Your movie can show neither more nor less than the opinions of the editors,
While the qualitative statements in your post may be correct, the important observations are quantitative: rates of change of tempeerature, concentrations of various isotopes (such as O18) in ice cores, and the like. They all lead to the conclusion that man-made global warming is hot upon us.
Regards,
Jack