Re: [Phys-l] Poll shows fewer Americans "believe" in global warming

On Oct 22, 2009, at 8:37 PM, marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:

OK. Let's just focus on "believe." One major problem we face as educators is
the public perception of the word "theory." Most people think it means a
"guess" and also that there are lots of theories for a given phenomenon. We
must drive home that there may be competing models, but in the end, there is
only one theory, which represents our "best explanation based on supporting
physical evidence." Also, it is as close to "truth" as we get in science. We
must also differentiate between "knowledge" and "belief." The former must be
true or it isn't knowledge, whereas the latter can be true or false, and in
many cases, such matters are often difficult to prove conclusively.

This discussion is also rooted in our inability to educate the public as to
how science actually works. The general public has the view that theories are
guesses because they've been told that scientists make hypotheses, which are
educated guesses, do an experiment, and voila, you have a theory. Since the
process begins with a guess, the theory must be a guess. "What's your
theory?"

Finally, someone who understands what I was trying to say. The earlier thread on data, facts, and theory discussed this. Not that scientists are above the fray, but of all people, scientists should be better prepared to refute the word BELIEF when used in texts or public statements by the media or politicians. There can be no BELIEF... it is what it is.

Marty