Re: [Phys-l] accurate numerical solution of equations of motion

Let me just comment on the spreadsheet note--not the much more elegant programming ideas.

I do a 'simple' exercise with my intro-calc level class for chem, math, and engineering students. I do this because they REALLY DON'T get this anywhere else early in their courses.

My exercise is to drop a bowling ball from 100 km up. I want the time to hit the ground and the speed.

Level one: Just worry about the variation in the acceleration due to gravity.

Level two: Add in air resistance, using a constant coefficient but check v and v^2 dependencies.

Level three: Break apart the air resistance coefficient and make the geometrical factor a variable and model the air density as non-constant. We only get to a simple model there--linearly decreasing with altitude. With more time, we could get more sophisticated there, but the point of the exercise is to show how to break down the complexities.

We take a simple numerical approach. Calculate the acceleration from the current force. Find the velocity as v_0 + a(delta)t, and find the position as y_0 + v(delta)t, with delta-t a variable. Now recalculate the forces and acceleration and repeat. In one two-hour session we get most of this done.

Next step is to use their spreadsheet to predict the behavior of a falling foam ball. This they drop and time for distance up to 10-12 meters (drop off balconies in our library). THEN display the data and the predictions on the same graph--again they haven't done this before--and search on the adjustable parameters for the best fit.

I try to emphasize, especially to the engineers, that this is probably the most useful and important lab exercise we will do all year!

So--pedagogically--I highly recommend using spreadsheet for numerical methods with science/engineering student. I'm sure this is done in 'real' engineering programs, but here we only prepare students for engineering courses they take across the street at the University.

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
******************************
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac
*******************************

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

================

I know it is somewhat eccentric to use elegant old-school numerical
techniques on a spreadsheet. Many old-school numerical analysts
despise spreadsheets. But bear with me; I'm not as crazy as
you might think. There is a segment of the population that is
intimidated by c++ and is not going to learn it anytime soon ...
but is not intimidated by spreadsheets. The folks in this segment
are never going to read big fancy books on numerical methods ...
but you can teach them a couple of good ideas, like using second-
order Euler for part of the problem, and using stride=2 for the
other part. These ideas allow them to get really good results
from their spreadsheets.

Pedagogical remark: Almost all real-world physics jobs involve
a ton of computing. IMHO there should be more of an effort to
integrate computing into the physics curriculum at all levels.
I'm not sure _how_ to do this, given how overcrowded the schedule
already is ... but still it needs to be done somehow. Otherwise
the product will suffer.