[Phys-l] Innovation and Exponentials (was Herman Daly's Ecological Economist View ...)

Richard Hake wrote:
In a post "Energy Efficiency ... #3," I contested Podolfsky's claim that my earlier post on that subject treated complex problems "in terms of simple ideas and, possibly, a single equation exp^t."
This note reminds me how well the exponential model was thought to
describe the major, major problem of clearing horse dung from city streets,
and how that curve was dramatically turned down by the advent of the automobile.

One can only hope for another deus ex machina...

Brian W