Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

On Oct 18, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

At 15:10 -0700 10/18/2009, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Not to take away from Hugh's point, which I agree with, but I wince a
little bit whenever I hear appeals to the amount of "supporting
evidence" for a theory without an accompanying assessment of the
degree to which the theory may be *vulnerable* to evidence. After
all, proponents of intelligent design can also point to overwhelming
supporting evidence. The difference is that it is entirely
inconceivable that any evidence could ever be found that is
inconsistent with ID.

Valid point. I was thinking about the possibility of evidence against
evolution that could be conclusive (e.g., finding fossils from widely
different time periods co-located in the same rock layer), but
decided to leave it out to keep my response short. It is certainly
true that, even as a "fact" evolution is still subject to refutation
by evidence, although, so far, all the evidence found supports the
evolutionary model we presently have constructed. ID, on the other
hand, as John points out, is not susceptible to refutation and
therefore cannot be considered a scientific theory in any sense. And
furthermore, not only can it not be refuted in principle, it can also
make no useful predictions about what we

According to point (f) in:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/382terms.html

“Scientific theories are validated not only on the basis of their logical (mathematical) correctness but also on the basis of their ability to guide to discoveries of unknown facts. Scientific theories evolve; some theories are more powerful, more general, more useful and more elegant, than others.”

I will add another sentence “A theory is not acceptable to scientists unless it is susceptible to refutation. In other words, a scientific theory must be falsifiable. "

The attribute of usefulness was suggested by someone who is not on our list. I am open to other constructive suggestions.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist.

Food for thought: "Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Updated links to his selected publications are at:
http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ , http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html and http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html