From: "Carl Mungan" <mungan@usna.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:55 PM
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] how not to do thermodynamics and Legendre transformations

I mention this because I recently encountered the
following article:
USE OF LEGENDRE TRANSFORMS IN CHEMICAL THERMODYNAMICS
(IUPAC Technical Report)
Prepared for publication by
ROBERT A. ALBERTY

Pure Appl. Chem.,
Vol. 73, No. 8, pp. 1349-1380, 2001.

That article states, as if it were an established fact,
that the equation

dU = TdS - PdV ... [1]

is "the" fundamental equation for the energy U. <snip>

The paper goes on to assert that

"The variables in the differentials on the right-hand
side of the fundamental equation have a special
significance and are referred to as natural variables"

and cites almost a dozen references.

I disagree with this conclusion even more strongly than
I disagreed with "the fundamental equation".

Interesting that you mention that paper, because a chemist friend
recently cited that exact paper to me and told me that he was still
confused about Legendre transforms and could I explain it to him more
simply?

In reply I wrote:

http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/LegendreTransform.pdf

and would glady accept your (or other folks) comments on it. -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363