Re: [Phys-l] Static vs kinetic friction

Adding to my yesterday's post***,

I have since found some graphs of the cart both driven and not.

Interested may apply.

bc

***
So can the kicked cart stop during
the turnaround because of this effect?

I have observed this often and I suspect many others. For example a
mechanical oscillator with Coulomb friction will stop at an other
than the equilibrium position.

I have attached a cart friction accessory to a driven cart acting as
the mass of a spring oscillator. The driver was an attached (as the
support) high Q and energetic pendulum. The effect is quite
interesting. As the pendulum decays (rings down) the delay in the
movement of the periodically stopped cart increases. Since I don't
have a site, I refer to Peter's flip-flop pendulum for the analysis
of a similar pendulum

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997AmJPh..65.1067P

bc will send a PDF attachment for those unable to access.