Re: [Phys-l] Static vs kinetic friction

Yes, I know it is complex, and there are all kinds of possibilities. After
all whole theses are written about it. So I would say the consensus is that
it is not worth worrying about, especially since the variability may be more
than the difference in values. After all friction is an empirical law and
is only obeyed well in simple physics demos.

I have found that when pulling a simple wood block on a Formica desk that
the difference between the static and kinetic value can be quite large as
long as the force is increased very slowly. One of the most convincing
demos is to take an ordinary 2x4 about a ft long or so and show students
that the frictional force is the same no matter which side it is laying on.
The area varies by a factor of 2&6. This can easily be done with a force
probe. Cleaning the desk is helpful, but that only insures uniform friction
with changes in position. The wood block is left au natural after the
initial sanding and screw hood attachments.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John Clement wrote:
...I have a cart on a ramp which is given
an initial push and then is sometimes caught at the end of the ramp. I
have
included friction, but only kinetic friction....
Does static friction come into play during the instant when a cart
reverses
direction after being kicked up the ramp?
John M. Clement
Houston, TX
In a cursory effort to test this question, I waxed the surface of an
anodized
aluminum 60 cm vernier caliper, released the fixing screw on the movable
jaw, and
inclined the scale to find the angle at which the jaw slid, then
decreased the angle
and pushed the jaw up the scale.
I found the difference in coefficients was rather small, and the
variability
comparatively large, so I was unable to provide a definitive answer for
this setup.
Sorry!