Re: [Phys-l] Static vs kinetic friction

John Clement wrote:
...I have a cart on a ramp which is given
an initial push and then is sometimes caught at the end of the ramp. I have
included friction, but only kinetic friction....
Does static friction come into play during the instant when a cart reverses
direction after being kicked up the ramp? John M. Clement
Houston, TX
In a cursory effort to test this question, I waxed the surface of an anodized
aluminum 60 cm vernier caliper, released the fixing screw on the movable jaw, and
inclined the scale to find the angle at which the jaw slid, then decreased the angle
and pushed the jaw up the scale.
I found the difference in coefficients was rather small, and the variability
comparatively large, so I was unable to provide a definitive answer for this setup.
Sorry!

Brian W