Re: [Phys-l] (no subject)

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I have searched the archives and was unable to find an answer that is
satisfying. It is a drag racing inquiry...the back tires on drag cars
are very wide, soft and without tread. I understand that the width
allows for heat dissipation and the softness allows for better traction
with the track surface. What confuses me is the relationship between
friction and forward motion. Drag racing is all about acceleration. Is
the only reason that the tire is wide is for heat dissipation due to the
soft material? For argument sake, say a soft tire could be narrow and
dissipate heat equally well.

Then, would a narrow tire propel the car forward with the same force as a
narrow tire?

Don't think so.... While kinetic friction is indeed nearly independent of
area, static friction is not. If you notice, the race car trys to
accelerate as much as possible without slipping the tires. Once the tires
break loose, the friction goes WAY down.

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......