Re: [Phys-l] (no subject)

There is another factor, the force/area. While theoretically a narrow tire
would work, it would also have a greater force/area and this would stress
the tire more, possibly causing failure.

As far as heat dissipation goes, I doubt that most of the heat is dissipated
to the environment during the short race. So the amount of energy retained
by the tire is probably the same whether it is wide or narrow. It would be
advantageous to have it spread out over a greater volume, so the temperature
does not rise too much.

I would say that a wide tire would last longer, and in this case it only has
to last for the duration of the race. A narrow tire may not be capable of
withstanding the amount of frictional force needed to propel the car, and
might suffer catastrophic failure.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I have searched the archives and was unable to find an answer that is
satisfying. It is a drag racing inquiry...the back tires on drag cars
are very wide, soft and without tread. I understand that the width
allows for heat dissipation and the softness allows for better traction
with the track surface. What confuses me is the relationship between
friction and forward motion. Drag racing is all about acceleration. Is
the only reason that the tire is wide is for heat dissipation due to the
soft material? For argument sake, say a soft tire could be narrow and
dissipate heat equally well. Then, would a narrow tire propel the car
forward with the same force as a narrow tire?