Re: [Phys-l] large class questions

I have not seen any studies for sizes 85 on up. And I doubt that there have
been any. Most studies of class size have been done with smaller classes
such as 24, and the ones I have seen have not shown the dramatic gains one
can get with PER. Various things like McDermott tutorials, Modeling... all
need smaller sizes, but McDermott tutorials are implemented in amall
recitations which are often accompanied by a large lecture. There is no
limit to the class size for the Mazur method, but his studies started with
students already at the formal operational level, and your course is
probably has a much lower intake. I doubt there is much difference between
85 and 850, but there is a big difference between 85 and 25.

As to the comfort factor, the big factor is engagement, and other things
tend to have a much smaller effect. But there is one size factor which does
have bearing. Students need to do things like drawings, graphs,
explanations, and show how they solve problems. With a larger number of
students grading such things becomes much more difficult. The web based
assignments are not very useful except for numerical answers, and multiple
choice, both of which do not get the student engage with the necessary
tasks. Notice that the Mazur method depends on essay or short explanations
which become more difficult to grade with larger classes.

Lab assignments can be added as web based assignments where the student
interacts with simulations. But again, grading is problematic with large
classes.

Modeling was tried in a large lecture format, and it did not work very well.
This was reported at an AAPT conference a number of years ago.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX