Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

We are on satellite feed. Two channels carry the same program with one digital and the other analog. When I switch from analog to digital there is a one second delay. If I switch from digital to analog I lose a second. Same box, same LCD but a i second discrepancy +/- depending on the direction of the switch.

Too much of a good thing is wonderful!

From: clement@hal-pc.org
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:52:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

If the boxes are the same, are they really the same? If the serial numbers
are far apart there may have been a design change.

Beyond this are the TVs being fed from the same spigots? In other words is
one being fed HDMI and the other one a composite signal? There should be no
difference between S-video and composite, but HDMI or component outputs may
be different. Is one set digital, and the other analog? These are some of
the relevant questions that might bear on the question.

Or there is the possibility at one converter box may be defective. I had
that problem with HD radio, and the defective box introduced a huge delay.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
You state that you had a digital cable installed. Is a digital box
connected to all your television sets? In Rhode Island, two services
come into the house simultaneously, one requires a digital decoder box
at each television and the other is a non-HD service that can be fed to
many sets using a splitter. There is considerable delay between the two
that produces the effect that you mention. I assume that the HD requires
the more sophisticated decompression and hence a longer delay.

Our service provider is ahead of the curve for switching over to digital.
We no longer receive analog signals. The decoder boxes are identical and
the coax runs are practically the same. (Maybe 3-4 meters different.)
I wish I had noticed the effect before the switch to pure digital so I
could compare the effect once the switchover occured. I may have to drag
out the old o'scope and take a look... Wonder how much error that's going
to put in the system?