Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
In my case both the kitchen and family room TVs are analog TVs tuned to
channel 3. They are both fed by the same digital FIOS TV signal (from
two different coax and splitter paths which have been ruled out as an
explanation for the delay). The two TVs have different settop box
models. The kitchen box is a simple digital to analog converter, the
family room TV box also contains a DVR. Both settop boxes are set to
look at the same channel as indicated by their identical display
numbers. There is a several second delay present between the two TVs.
Presumably the fact that the two settop boxes are different models is
what is leading to the delay.

Is it possible the the DVR is delaying a preset time to allow for the
"pause live TV" feature? Maybe a buffering delay to allow for record?

In any event, my delay is occuring on two identical non-DVR converter
boxes....

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......