Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
You state that you had a digital cable installed. Is a digital box
connected to all your television sets? In Rhode Island, two services
come into the house simultaneously, one requires a digital decoder box
at each television and the other is a non-HD service that can be fed to
many sets using a splitter. There is considerable delay between the two
that produces the effect that you mention. I assume that the HD requires
the more sophisticated decompression and hence a longer delay.

Our service provider is ahead of the curve for switching over to digital.
We no longer receive analog signals. The decoder boxes are identical and
the coax runs are practically the same. (Maybe 3-4 meters different.)
I wish I had noticed the effect before the switch to pure digital so I
could compare the effect once the switchover occured. I may have to drag
out the old o'scope and take a look... Wonder how much error that's going
to put in the system?

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......