Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

Peter Lohstreter wrote:

Interesting discussion, but I'm not sure it explains an observation I
made after I had digital cable installed. (FIOS..)

One evening, my wife turned on the TV in the den to the same station I
was watching in my office (30 feet away...) and there was a
noticeable delay - over a second- between the two signals. Was
one of my decoder boxes operating at a higher resolution and needing
more> >decoding time?

I have noticed the same phenomenon with both our previous Comcast cable
TV installation between the kitchen and family TV sets and our new FIOS
installation. The kitchen and TV sets are on different branches of the
input cable feed and have different decoder boxes. Could it be the
delay in the different lengths of cable (RG-59) and splitters involved?
I don't have the delay of RG-59 cable handy. Is there a noticeable
delay introduced by a TV coax splitter (or amplifier)?

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.
Undersea Systems
Annapolis, MD 21404