Re: [Phys-l] Digital TV signal delay

On Sep 23, 2008, at 1:59 , John Denker wrote:

On 09/22/2008 09:14 PM, Steve Highland wrote:
Tonight one of the fellows on my bowling team asked me why the digital TV
signal he receives is substantially delayed relative to the radio broadcast
of the same live football game.

For _live events_ the signal is delayed (usually about 7 seconds)
to give censor time to react if there is a cussword or a "wardrobe
malfunction".

If the radio station is using a 5 second delay and the TV is
using a 7 second delay, you would observe a difference of 2
seconds.

If the two delays are the same, you don't notice anything ...
unless you take a portable radio to the actual stadium.

Still, I stand by my previous answer: I would expect the radio
to be synchronized with plain old (*) analog TV, and the digital
TV to be delayed by the compression algorithm.

I've always seen a delay, not by a lot, but by about 1 second even on analog. Enough to be annoying! I like the radio announcers much more, so I'd prefer to use that. I wonder if there is an easy hack one can do to the radio to "tune" the delay so that it matches the TV.

bb

--
Brian Blais
bblais@bryant.edu