Re: [Phys-l] Frequency dependence of resistance

"standard" according to whose edict?
Regards,
Jack
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Dan Crowe wrote:

Jack,

This is the standard definition of resistance used in electrical engineering. There are probably hundreds of books that use this definition. It is a misunderstanding of science, and especially engineering, to think that there are not standard definitions of terms.

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun County Public Schools
Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us
Jack Uretsky <jlu@hep.anl.gov> 09/18/08 7:27 PM >>>
It is a misunderstanding of the nature of science and/or engineering to
use a phrase like "resistance is defined". The brutal truth is that you
are free to define resistance any way you please. If you want to use
someone else's definition of ``resistance'', then it is incumbent upon you
to clue us in as to whose definition of resistance you are referring to.
If, as I suspect, you have a particular textbook in mind, then you might
have an issue with the author of that textbook,
Regards,
Jack