Re: [Phys-l] Flurry of LHC "End of the world" nonsense

This has bothered me for a long time as well. I am glad you articulated it so well. If we don't get beyond an authoritarian approach to the public, we can't blame them for having a hard time choosing between various "authorities" - especially if one is a charismatic religious leader and the other is a scientist who can't speak in plain language.

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of David Appell
Sent: Wed 9/17/2008 12:04 AM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Flurry of LHC "End of the world" nonsense

The public is paying for the LHC. They have a right to ask questions, even
"dumb" questions. If physicists can't take a little bit of their time and
explain the situation -- and perhaps spread some physics education at the
same time -- then I don't see how they're worth spending billions of
research dollars on.

David

--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org