Re: [Phys-l] Reading Questions / Memos

I teach h.s. physics. I am curious about how folks use reading
questions or reading memos. I've read that some college courses use
them. I can't imagine that anyone has the time to review 1-4 reading
questions from each student in their course(s).

Oh, it can be time-consuming. However, the insight I gain as to _how_
they are reading the book (I ask for questions on the next chapter to be
covered in addition to one question on the one just covered)is invaluable.
I also find that I can 'fine-tune' my lectures a bit to allow more time
for somethings and less for others given the responses I get.

To make sure I get responses, the questions count for 5% of their final
grade!

- do students email their questions, put them on note-cards, other?

I have them submit the questions by email, within WebCT, no later than 6pm
Saturday evening. This gives me time to read and prepare for either my
Monday or Tuesday lectures.

- do you simply draw a few at random to see what the recurring themes
are?

No, I read all of them. However, I teach at a Community College and I
only have 40 students -- thus it is more tractable than a large lecture
class of 300.

- how do you give points to students for completing the questions?

I use a 3 point system. 3 for good with thought. 2 for passable and not
as much thought, 1 for little or no thought or effort, and 0 for no
question. I have a rubric for grading and I give them examples of good
and bad questions to 'model' their behavior.

Thus far, he says with his fingers crossed, it has worked well for the
last 5 semesters I've used it.

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College