[Phys-l] Flurry of LHC "End of the world" nonsense

I've been spending some time on Yahoo Answers lately and am struck by the
huge number of questions that start out something like "I just heard that
scientists are making black holes with the Big Bang machine tomorrow and I'm
scared..."

I see there are some folks out there who are dutifully answering all these
questions with reassuring information, but I wonder how much impact they are
having. Others seem to simply like to call the worried folks (of which some
are surely faking just to have fun) idiots.

The media seem to be enjoying this just as much as Y2K and I am disappointed
to see so many articles beginning with the 'end of the world' stuff before
they get to more sane commentary on particle physics and the collider.

How do others feel about this?

Steve Highland